Is College the Right Decision?
I’m a higher education administrator, so of course you know how I am going to answer this question.
But putting my bias aside, the evidence clearly shows that completing a college degree is still an excellent decision for most people. Here’s a fairly recent summary by the Pew Research Center for why college is still worth completing. In a nutshell the research indicates that:
1) An individual with a bachelor’s degree typically makes around $15,000 more per year than an individual that simply graduated from high school.
2) Young adults who graduate from college are less likely to be living in their parent’s home than those who do not graduate from college.
3) College grads are more satisfied with their jobs.
4) Having a college education is even more important today for keeping one out of poverty than it has been in the past.
5) The majority of college graduates say that attending college was worth it.
Yes, you can make a difference without going to college. However, if you want to give yourself the greatest opportunity for achieving financial success and/or influencing society, getting a college degree is the smart way to start.